Thursday, December 15, 2022

Angkor Wat


Today is the long await for day...the day when we get to go to Angkor Wat.  A UNESCO site, Angkor Wat is the world's largest religious site and dates back to the 12th century.  The Hindu-Buddhist temple sites on a little over 400 acres and you have the options to hire a tuk-tuk to get you from where the bus has to drop groups to the entrance as it is about a mile walk.  Once you arrive, your driver becomes your helper for the day as climbing the steps of the temple is definitely challenging.  LuLu and I opted to go this route rather than making the trek in the heat (in case I haven't mentioned, it is hot!) and I will say it was the best $40 we ever spent.  We had a nice breeze and had an amazing first view of Angkor Wat!


Tuk-tuks are only permitted inside the grounds for the very
elderly or those physically challenged.  To ensure their passengers
get through the security, the drivers carry a crutch on their tuk-tuk.

Our first glimpse of Angkor Wat





When we got to the entrance, I got out of the tuk-tuk and went to help LuLu.  Mr Thet, our driver, told me "no, my job".  Well, LuLu totally it played it up with him all day and had the biggest smile on his face because he was helping her.  The terrain is pretty unstable so your hlper is there to serve as your safety rail (literally as the only ones I saw were going to level 3 of the temple) so LuLu put her arm in his and let him help her walk.  Litld did we know we were also getting our own photog for the day!  Mr. Thet took LOTS of pics of us...multiple angles...bless his heart!

Thumbs up for Mr Thet!

Your helper is there for whatever you need.  Our initial plan was for Mr Thet to help LuLu up the temple steps but she made the VERY wise decision when we get to up close and personal with the temple to not climb up the 3 levels.  Knowing Mr. Thet was with her and keeping her company, I felt comfortable taking my chances making the climb.



Level 1 (upper left) steps were very steep and no railing (hence the reason to hire a guide).  Once up on level 1, we walked around a little before taking the steps up to level 2.  If I thought level 1 was challenging, level 2 was definitely a workout.  They were so steep and high I had to basically go hands and feet up...yep once again no railing and when you are vertically challenged, you do what have to do!  We took a little breather while Ut, our Viking guide, told us a little more about Angkor Wat. To be honest, I didn't pay much attention as I was in awe. Next stop, level 3 (upper right) and finally we had a railing! The steps were SO steep I had to use the railing to basically pull myself up but was the view ever worth it!









Meanwhile back on the ground, LuLu is having a photo shoot with Mr. Thet!  He's texting pics of him with LuLu to his friends and they were blowing up his phone with questions about LuLu.  She also made a picked up a Cambodian son!  Meng Ly is studying architecture at the university in Phnom Pehn and fell in love with LuLu (who doesn't, right?!). Little kids playing "throw the shoe" also kept her entertained.  I love that she has a different story to tell about her day at Angkor Wat than I do as that is what is so great about traveling.


My Cambodian brother, Meng Ly

LuLu and Mr Thet

Here's just a few of the 200+ photos I took today.  They absolutely do not do any justice to the beauty of the massive site!

Having your wedding photo taken
at Angkor Wat is very popular


















Our travel buddy, Anne





No comments:

Post a Comment