Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Shalom Israel!










After a 2 hour flight to JFK, a 3 hour layover, an 11 hour flight and an extra 45 minutes circling the city because the Vice President's plane was leaving, we finally arrived in Israel!  The flight wasn't terrible but I was definitely ready to get off the plane when we landed...smile proves how happy I was.










My seat mates were a very nice couple from just outside of Tel Aviv.  I was sleeping when dinner was served and when my meal was brought, it was missing the hummus.  I was disappointed and the lady gave me her unopen container.  I had read Israelis were immediately warm and hospitable people and this couple was definitely proof. We had a nice chat about Israel today and even talked about the US moving our embassy to Jerusalem.  They told me it was such an important statement by the US and it means so much for the US to recognize what Israelis have long said "Jerusalem is the capital of Israel".  I downloaded a free Fodor's with Hebrew phrases app but it was missing some things like "please" and "thank you" so I asked my new friends.  Please is "bevakasha", thank you is "toda" and thank you very much is "toda raba".








After making our way through passport control (I totally picked the wrong line), baggage claim and customs, our group of 30 boarded a bus to Tiberias where we will spend the next 3 nights.  Our guide for the week is Tamar, an Israeli, and our driver is Maher, an Arab.  Despite what we see in the news, Israelis and Arabs are able to work together so maybe one day it will lead to peace in the land.







Upon arrival at hotel, we got our room assignments and then grabbed some dinner...do love me some Middle Eastern cuisine!  Tomorrow's wake up call is 5:15 so time to sign off.

Layla tov (good night)!

No comments:

Post a Comment