Tuesday, July 5, 2022

Natas like Grandma Makes


Today we learned how to make Pastel de Nata...a traditional Portuguese treat.  Natas are not considered dessert but a snack or little pick me up or breakfast food.  I found the class at Get Your Guide and highly recommend it.  We took the bus out to Fanzeres (about 20 minutes from Porto) to Joana's apartment.  You can also take metro or Uber but the bus is the best options as it drops you off a block from her place.

There were 12 of us in the class from all over the world.  We had folks from Estonia, Germany, Holland, Canada, England, South Korea, Portugal and the US.  Our host, Joana, has a team approach to making natas and it was the perfect way to making these sweet mounds of joy.  I try to take a cooking/baking class when I visit places and most of the time each person makes the entire recipe themselves which can sometimes be a lot of pressure.  Joana put us in 2 teams and each team would trade off on making a different part of the process.  Natas are pretty simple to make but it definitely helps to have another set of hands (hint if I invite you over for natas, know you are going to help make them).












And now we get to enjoy the fruits of our labor.  Words cannot describe how very good these natas were!  I've tried my fair share of natas in the Portugal and I'm here to tell you these are absolutely the best.  The only thing I regret about taking this class is the fact that now when I have one from a bakery it will pale in comparison.



Here's the recipe for Grandma's Pastel de Natas.  Bom Apetite!

No comments:

Post a Comment