Monday, April 15, 2019

Galway to Dublin

Time to head back to Dublin as I leave tomorrow for home.  Once again my ride was entertaining thanks to Miriam and Johnny sitting in the seats next to me.  After the 2.5 hours, I still don't know if they were husband & wife, brother & sister or mother & son...turns out I wasn't the only one as my seat mate (on a two year work assignment in Dublin) and I smiled at each other and once Miriam and Johnny got up, we said the same thing to each other. 

It was a hoot listening to them.  Throughout the ride, I heard Miriam tell Johnny how he needs to be careful in Dublin and not talk to strangers as he is easily taken. When the food and beverage cart came by, the poor server had no idea what was in store for him.  Miriam asked about all the different things he had on the cart and explained why she didn't like each item.  She finally settled on the lemon cake and some black tea...though she would really prefer green tea.  

And then it was time for Miriam to call her niece Mary Hughes.  According to the message Miriam left, she is Mary Hughes' favorite aunt.  Mary Hughes is named after her mother don't you know.  Johnny dialed the number so Miriam said to him, after she left the message mind you, "Hope you are ringing her mobile as she doesn’t have a machine on her land line"...in my mind I'm thinking "bless your heart, what difference does it make because you're leaving her a message."  They were hoping to meet Mary at the pub this evening...of course assuming Johnny didn't put them in the cab of one of those shysters that takes them the long way to get more money.  Oh Johnny, this is going to be a long couple of days for ye!





After checking in to my room at The Shelbourne, I did a little walking around Dublin.  First stop was O'Donoghues for a pint and bowl of beef stew...and of course brown bread.  

When I was last in Dublin, I drove by the Oscar Wilde and Molly Malone statues so decided to make my way to them and see them up close and person.





Oscar Wilde in Merrion Square






In Dublin's fair city
Where the girls are so pretty
I first set my eyes on sweet Molly Malone
As she wheeled her wheeelbarrow
Through the streets broad and narrow
Crying "cockles and mussels, alive, alive, oh"

Alive, alive, oh
Alive, alive, oh
Crying "cockles and mussels, alive, alive, oh"















Today was a pretty cold and misty so I decided to head back to the hotel and check out the sleep system at The Shelbourne (aka bed).  En route along Grafton Street, I saw a sign for St. Teresa Carmelite Church and thought I'd pop in.  It was quiet and beautiful and nice escape for the hustle and bustle of the city.










 


After a very long 10 days, I just wanted to go back and relax in a nice comfy bed (did I mentioned the 2 hotels so far were like sleeping on rocks).  The bed did not disappoint...it was heavenly (oh what that's  what the Westin calls their beds...hazard of the job).  By dinner time, it was pouring out and I really didn't want to leave the warmth of the hotel so I had dinner at the hotel bar.  It was a very fancy fish n' chips...and oh so good. 

As always, my time in Ireland was fabulous.  I do love this country and look forward to returning again as there is so much more to explore.

Slainte!

No comments:

Post a Comment